Monday, August 25, 2008

Movie Review

Last night we watch "The Wings of the Dove" with high expectations. Let me explain.......

My all-time favorite movie is A Room With a View, starring Helena Bonham Carter, Julian Sands, and Daniel Day Lewis. It is completely romantic, smart, funny, and has a wonderful ending. It is an artistic feel-good movie, which is a rarity. So, when I saw all the viewer reviews on Netflix for "The Wings of the Dove" also starring Helena Bonham Carter, I wanted to see it. Multiple viewers even compared the two films, stating that "TWOTD" was BETTER than "ARWAV". Both were adapted from classic novels - one by Henry James and one by E.M. Forester. I see some similarities to the plot, of course. A young woman who wants to marry for love rather than money - takes a romantic trip to Italy. And that is where the similarities end. I have to say, although "TWOTD" was poignant and beautifully filmed, it is a sad, sad story. I was very bitter that Kate turned out to be such a selfish bitch and that Merton even went along with her childish scheme. In my opinion, it didn't even compare with "A Room With a View". I still might be persuaded to read the novels and decide again, because I know that books sometimes vary greatly from their film adaptations. But for now, I'm sticking with my old favorite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home