Tuesday, July 22, 2008

What a Coincidence!

I have been reading "Go Down, Moses" by William Faulkner (slowly because it isn't the only thing I'm reading, and it can be read as separate short stories). My girlfriend Kristi was out visiting recently and was talking about Rick Bragg's memoirs, which I guess is "All Over But The Shoutin", but I wasn't sure which of his books were his memoirs until I bought "Ava's Man" recently at the library. It's the story of his grandpa, Charlie Bundrum, and it is a wonderful book. I'm totally enthralled by it. But I think it is really interesting that I would be reading these two books at the same time when their setting and many of their themes are so similar. Granted, "Ava's Man" hardly deals with slaves at all, but they both deal with life in the deep south, before and after the depression, being dirt poor, hunting, fishing, making moonshine, evading the law, honor among rough men, etc. Bragg's is a little easier to read, but obviously Faulkner's is a work of art as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home